Overview | Boiled Egg Diet Plan | Basic Guidelines | Foods to Eat | Foods to Avoid | Sample Diet Plan | Nutrition Facts | Benefits | Side Effects | Is it Safe in Long Run? | Boiled egg Recipes | Boiled Egg diet Shopping List | Conclusion
The boiled egg diet plan is a low carbohydrate and high protein diet where you limit the intake of carbs and increase the protein and fat intake. This forces your body to use fat as a source of energy.
Internet is flooded with all kinds of diet which promise to help you lose weight and promote overall wellness. One such diet plan which also promises to do the same is boiled egg diet.
As the name suggests, boiled egg diet focuses on consuming proteins mainly from boiled eggs. In this diet plan you are allowed to have juices, fruits and zero calorie drinks like water. Also, when on egg diet you are strictly prohibited to include foods high in carbs like rice, potato’s, pastas and breads. Almost all kinds of foods with high carbs are eliminated, so that fat reserves can be utilized as a source of energy.
Boiled Egg Diet Plan
There are several versions of Boiled Egg Diet plan and some are more aggressive and some are close to well balanced.
Some of the well-known boiled egg diet plans are as below:
- Consuming only Eggs: This diet plan is considered to be the most aggressive amongst all the other egg diet plans and sticking to this diet for long run is not recommended at all. This is considered as unhealthy diet, as dieters tend to stick to one food for as long as two weeks. This leaves them fatigued and starved of other vital nutrients needed for healthy body function.
- Eggs and Citrus fruits: As the name suggests, in this diet plan you eat eggs and citrus fruits along with other sources of lean protein. There is no hard and fast rule to this, you can eat any citrus fruits of your choice.
- Egg, breads and Zero Calorie drinks: In this diet plan you are allowed to eat only eggs, Breads and Low calorie drinks such as water, black coffee and fruit juices. Having said that, you can also include fruits and boiled veggies to this diet. Some dieters believe that this diet plan works well for them as they don’t feel low on energy. Lastly, it’s not recommended to stick to this diet for more than 7-14 days.
- Keto Egg Diet: This diet plan works similar to the conventional ketogenic diet where you force the body to produce ketones and use fat reserves as a source of energy instead of carbs. In this diet plan, emphasis is to eat more fat and cut the down the carbs as much as possible. Eating eggs with tons of cheese and butter is a common practice in this diet.
- 14 Days Egg Diet plan: No diet with one food item can achieve balanced nutrition. This 14 day boiled egg diet plan tries to provide balanced nutrition by keeping eggs as the center point. Even though it tries to provide balanced nutrition it fails to achieve that as this diet revolves around 1 food item. But when we compare all the above diet plans, this one comes closest to being safe. Having said that, it’s not recommended to follow this diet plan for more than 14 days. Lastly, in this diet plan you are allowed to eat boiled eggs, lean protein, fruits and zero calorie drinks like black coffee, bottle gourd juice and water.
- Never follow a diet plan focused on one food for more than two weeks
- Talk to your doctor before going after this diet plan
- Drink lots of water when following this diet as too much eggs will increase gas and acidity.
- Do some sort of exercise when on this diet – At least 30 minute’s walk.
- Egg diet restricts the calorie, therefore make sure you are sticking to a healthy calorie intake of at least 1200 calories.
- Make sure you supplement the egg diet with fruit juices and organic vegetables so that nutritional deficit can be nullified.
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle after finishing the 14 days boiled egg diet plan, so that healthy weight can be maintained.
- Remove the junk food from your existing diet so that weight which you have lost following the egg diet can be maintained.
Types of Food to Eat
Since egg diet is too demanding and requires discipline, you are only allowed to eat food items that are low in carbs or food items that helps to burn carb faster.
When on Egg diet its best to have below food items to fulfill your nutritional gap which eggs alone can’t do.
Food items allowed are:
Organic Vegetables: This includes Kale, Broccoli, Spinach, bottle gourd, Ash gourd, All kinds of cabbage, Cauliflower, Eggplant, Okra, Radish greens, Garlic, Onions, Collard greens, Moringa and bitter gourd.
Fruits: Fruits allowed are Seasonal fruits and fruits from Citrus family, Example: Banana, apples, Orange, Kiwi, avocado, grapefruit, tomato, peach, dragon fruit and Lemons.
Proteins: Only lean meats and high protein veg foods like tofu and cottage cheese are allowed.
Types of Food to Avoid
- You must always try your best to avoid packaged food items
- Food items with high Sodium should be avoided
- Packaged fruit juices OR Frozen food must be avoided
- Acidic drinks such as alcohol, soda or soda drinks must be strictly avoided
- Intake of sugar should be reduced.
- Regular tea should be replaced with herbal tea OR Green tea.
- Foods with high carb content is a strict No-No for this diet (Example: Potato).
- Try restricting fried items.
Sample 2 Weeks Boiled Egg Diet Plan
Since the balanced version of boiled egg diet looks safe and better than the other versions, especially due to the fact that it allows you to eat eggs, lean proteins, fruits and veggies it makes sense to go with balanced version. A sample 2 week boiled egg diet plan would look like below:
Breakfast: 2 Boiled Eggs, 1 Seasonal fruit.
Lunch: Half a roasted chicken breast and boiled vegetables (Excluding potatoes and other high carb ones)
Dinner: Grilled Tofu followed by 1 cup veggies (Include broccoli).
Breakfast: 2 Boiled Eggs and Oatmeal with almonds
Lunch: 1 Serving fish and seasonal fruits
Dinner: Grilled chicken and 1 Cup boiled veggies.
Breakfast: 2 Boiled eggs, 1 apple and few pre-soaked almonds
Lunch: Quinoa salad and grilled mushrooms
Dinner: Mixed vegetable soup and 1 boiled egg
Breakfast: 2 Boiled eggs, few almonds and milk
Lunch: 1 Serving fish and green salad
Dinner: Lotus stem soup and 1 Egg
Breakfast: 2 Boiled eggs and Whole wheat toast followed by black coffee without sugar
Lunch: Green salad and 1 serving fish
Dinner: Boiled Egg curry with Whole wheat bread.
Breakfast: 2 Boiled Eggs and green tea
Lunch: Quinoa salad with grilled tofu
Dinner: 2 Boiled eggs followed by green salad
Breakfast: 2 Boiled eggs followed by Orange juice
Lunch: Grilled Mushroom followed by green salads and fresh coconut water
Dinner: Grilled chicken and 1 cup butter milk
Breakfast: 2 Boiled eggs, one seasonal fruit and one slice of whole grain toast.
Lunch: 1 Cup steamed vegetables, yogurt and 1 serving fish
Dinner: Grilled chicken and green salad
Breakfast: Few presoaked almonds, 2 boiled eggs and 1 seasonal fruit
Lunch: Grilled tofu with green salad
Dinner: Grilled chicken with vegetable soup.
Breakfast: 2 Boiled eggs, 1 Banana ad whole grain toast
Lunch: 1 serving fish with steamed vegetables
Dinner: 1 boiled egg and vegetable soup
Breakfast: 2 Boiled eggs and Oatmeal mixed with almonds and skimmed milk
Lunch: 1 grilled mushroom with kale and kidney beans salad
Dinner: Cauliflower curry with 2 whole grain toast and green salad
Breakfast: 2 Boiled eggs and one banana pancake
Lunch: 1 boiled egg sandwich made with whole grain toast and green salads
Dinner: Roasted cauliflower and grilled fish
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs followed by black coffee
Lunch: 1 bowl fruit salad and 2 boiled eggs
Dinner: Clear vegetable soup with grilled tofu/cottage cheese
Breakfast: Presoaked almonds, 1 cup green tea and 2 boiled eggs
Lunch: Kidney bean salad, 1 boiled egg and grilled tofu
Dinner: 1 bowl chicken soup with green salad.
At the end of 2 Weeks, more likely you will feel light and energy levels would have stabilized up to certain extent.
After you are done with the 2 weeks diet, it’s extremely important that you quickly adopt healthy lifestyle as all the weight that you have lost may come back if you start eating junk food OR food with high carbs.
Snacks that goes well with Boiled Egg Diet
- Beetroot Salad
- Coconut water
- Almonds and Pistachios
- Unsalted popcorn
- Sunflower seeds
- Bottle Juice and sabji
- High Fiber biscuits
- Seasonal fruits
- Green Leafy Vegetables
- Butter Milk
- Ash Gourd Juice
- Flax Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Melon Seeds
Boiled egg Nutrition Facts
Boiled eggs are loaded with nutrients and essential amino acids that is essential for healthy cellular function. One large boiled egg (50) grams provides (1):
- Calories: 77.5
- Carbohydrates: 0.6 grams
- Total Fat: 5.3 Grams
- Saturated fat: 1.6 grams
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.0 grams
- Cholesterol: 212 mg
- Protein: 6.3 grams
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): 7% of the RDA
- Vitamin A: 6% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)
- Vitamin B12 (cobalamin): 9% of the RDA
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): 15% of the RDA
- Phosphorus: 86 mg
- Selenium: 15.4 mcg
- Calcium: 25.0 mg
- Iron: 0.6 mg
- Magnesium: 5.0 mg
- Potassium: 63.0 mg
- Zinc: 0.5 mg
Benefits of Boiled Egg Diet
One single boiled egg packs 77.5 calories and contains tons of health benefits. Some of the well-known benefits of following boiled egg diet are:
1.) Benefits eye Sight
Multiple studies on Lutein and Zeaxathin shows that individuals who consume adequate amount of lutein and Zeaxathin are at much lower risk of developing cataract and macular degeneration as compared to one’s who don’t consume adequate amount of these powerful anti-oxidants (4, 5, 6).
Regular consumption of Egg helps to increase Lutein and Zeaxathin levels in blood. In fact, studies conducted on consumption of egg yolks shows that one’s who consumed 1.3 egg yolks for 4.5 weeks straight, resulted in significant increase in Lutein and Zeaxathin levels in blood (7).
In that study Lutein levels rose by 28-50% and Zeaxathin levels increased by 114-142%.
Lastly, Eggs contain high amounts of Vitamin A which helps to keep eye sight in good shape.
2.) Fast Weight Loss
Since with this diet plan you restrict the calories and carbs, weight loss may happen at faster rate. Even though there are no scientific evidences supporting fast weight loss through egg diet, what definitely works in favor of egg is its nutritional content.
Furthermore, the reason egg is so effective in losing weight is because it contains high protein content. And according to studies, eating adequate protein may help you to lose weight, gain muscles and reduce blood pressure significantly (8, 9).
Lastly, in one of the studies conducted to study the efficiency of egg by replacing it with standard breakfast, it was found that one’s who consumed eggs in their breakfast dropped their BMI score significantly as compared to one’s who did not consume eggs (10).
While it is capable of giving fast results when it comes to weight loss, it’s not good in long run to follow ‘ONLY EGG DIET’ as you may want to stick to balanced diet to fulfill all the nutritional needs.
3.) Fulfilling and Keeps Hunger away
Eggs contains high amount of good quality protein and it is excellent to keep you full for long duration (11).
Furthermore, egg helps to keep hunger pranks away especially due to high satiety index score. Consuming eggs will make you feel full for long time, thereby making you consume less calories (12).
4.) Boosts Metabolism
Since eggs contain high amount of proteins it not only helps to keep you full and lose weight but it also helps to boost metabolism. In a Study conducted in the year 2014, it was found that adequate intake of protein and carbohydrates, boosts the metabolism significantly (13).
Therefore, eat lots of protein in your diet to boost metabolism and lose weight.
Side effects of Egg Diet
While boiled egg diet offers multiple health benefits, it’s important that we do not oversee the side effects that may come along with boiled egg diet. Just like any other diet plan, egg diet too has some cons. Some of the known side effects of boiled egg diet are as below.
1.) Gas and Nausea
While Egg diet looks promising for weight loss in short run, it’s also known to produce certain side effects in form of gas, Nausea, bad breath, constipation and lack of appetite. Therefore, it’s important that you include lots of veggies, juices and green salads in your diet when you are on Egg diet. Fibers from vegetable and alkalizing nature of juice will help you to fight gas and bloating.
2.) Lack of energy
When on egg diet, you are putting your body on high protein-low carb diet, which means your body not does not get the amount of carbs it used to get. This at times can bring in fatigue and reduce the energy levels. Having said that this effect is mostly seen in few days of starting egg diet. It tends to stabilize after the initial phase when our body starts adjusting with the change.
3.) Hard to Maintain Weight and Difficult
While Egg diet can give you fast results in two weeks, the only drawback is that it’s not repeatable.
Meaning, you cannot keep up with this diet forever, 2 weeks is maximum recommended. Furthermore, when you come back to your same old diet, you tend to put on the same weight again.
Therefore, in order to have sustainable weight loss you must focus on balanced diet and exercise after you have achieved the results with 2 Weeks boiled egg diet plan.
Also, boiled egg diet can be extremely difficult to follow for 2 weeks straight as it does not allow you to eat any other food items apart from Eggs and few high protein foods. Furthermore, hunger, lack of energy and discomfort due to urge of eating may be overwhelming at times.
4.) Increases Cholesterol
Eggs contain high amount of cholesterol and the response to these high cholesterol levels varies from one individual to other (14). Some may end up elevating their cholesterol levels due to excess intake of eggs (Scientifically controversial though).
Is Boiled Egg Diet Safe?
In general, boiled eggs are good for health as it provides much needed nutrients for healthy cellular function.
Having said that, diets that circle around one specific food items are definitely not safe in long run. Ideal food or Diet should be one that provides balanced nutrition and variations.
In short run, it may not affect you but in long run the side effects may be serious as you are starving your body of key essential nutrients and anti-oxidants.
Furthermore, the major reason why egg diet works in short run for losing weight is because it restricts the calorie intake.
Given the fact that, if you follow an average diet plan where you only eat eggs and proteins, the average calorie intake in that case will be roughly around 1000 to 1200 calories at max.
And According to Harvard Medical School, it’s unsafe to consume less than 1500 calories for men and 1200 calories for women for long period of time.
Also, one of the major reason why high protein-low carb diet is not good in long run is that, it affects our cardiovascular system negatively. Studies conducted on low carb high protein diet shows that those who are following this diet for long run are at higher risk of developing cardiovascular diseases compared to one’s who are following a well-balanced diet (14).
4 Best Boiled Egg recipes
When on boiled egg diet, things can get boring as you strictly stick to one food item. But guess what, you can make it little bit more exciting by preparing it in different way. Different recipes means varieties in flavor, more palatable and makes the diet plan easier to follow.
Here are some of the top Boiled Egg recipes that will help you to stick to the boiled egg diet.
1.) Plain boiled egg with Salt and Pepper
As the name suggests, this recipe is extremely easy as you don’t need any other ingredients apart from the three below.
- 2 Eggs
- Salt to taste
Once you have all the above ingredients ready, simple follow the below steps.
- Pour water in pressure cooker
- Add some salt to the water
- Put the eggs in cooker.
- Close the lid and cook it until one whistle
- Now move the boiled eggs to cold water
- Remove the shells
- Cut the boiled eggs into pieces
- Sprinkle salt and pepper according to the taste.
- Your boiled egg is ready.
2.) Fried Boiled Egg
Making boiled egg in fried form is easy and it is an extension of the recipe above. To make this you simply need below ingredients.
- 2 Boiled Eggs
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of red chilli powder
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Pinch of coriander powder
- Chaat masala
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Finely chopped onions
- Finely chopped red chilies
- Boil the eggs and remove the shells.
- Cut the egg into 2 pieces, if you are using 2 eggs then you will have 4 pieces.
- Now heat the pan and add some oil
- Start adding red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder and salt
- Mix it well and then add the eggs and cook both the sides well.
- Once its mild brown, turn off the flame, move the eggs to a plate.
- Sprinkle chaat masala, onions, green chilies and coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Your fried boiled egg is ready
3.) Boiled Egg Bhurji
Just like scrambled egg bhurji you can make boiled egg bhurji too in 15 simple steps. To make boiled egg bhurji you will need below ingredients.
- 2 Large Chopped Onions
- One large tomato (In puree form)
- 2 Green chillies
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- One teaspoon cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander powder
- Half teaspoon Garam masala
- Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 Boiled Eggs
- Heat the pan, add some oil
- Once it starts to crackle, add chopped onions.
- Saute the onions for few minutes
- Add ginger garlic paste
- Saute the onions until its mild brown
- Start adding the spices (Turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder)
- Mix it well and cook it for 30 – 40 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree and mix it well.
- Cook this for 2 minutes and keep sauting it.
- Now chop the boiled eggs into pieces and add it to this mixture.
- Mix it well
- Add some water so that spices mix well with the eggs.
- Add some salt to taste and let it cook until the water content drops.
- Add some coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Your boiled egg bhurji is ready.
4.) Boiled egg Curry
This recipe is little bit different as compared to the one’s above. In this recipe you will learn how to make boiled egg curry so that you can have it with full grain bread during your 14 days egg diet plan.
To make this curry you will need below ingredients.
- 2 Boiled Eggs
- 3 finely chopped green chilies
- 4 tablespoon cooking Oil
- 2 Medium sized Cinnamon Stick
- 3 cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 Bay leaves
- 1 Stone flower
- 1 Inch grated ginger
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 chopped onions
- Salt to taste
- 7 – 8 Curry Leaves
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon coriander powder
- Tomato Puree made from 3 tomatoes
- Half Cup coconut Milk
- 2 Boiled eggs
- Start by adding oil in the pan
- Once the oil heats, add cinnamon stick, cardamoms, fennel seeds, bay leaves and chopped green chilies (Should be in the sequence).
- Add Ginger and garlic and saute it for 40 seconds.
- Now add chopped onions and saute it until its slight brown.
- Add some salt to taste.
- Pour all the spices in followed by curry leaves and mix it well for 30 seconds
- Add tomato puree, mix it well and let is cook for 12 minutes on low flame (Keep stirring)
- Put some water and cook it for another 2 minutes
- Add coconut milk, mix it well and let it cook for 30 seconds
- Now cut the boiled eggs into two slices (it will be 4 slices if you are using 2 eggs)
- Add it to the curry and let it cook to 2 – 3 minutes.
- Your delicious boiled egg curry is ready.
Shopping list for boiled egg diet
- 28 – 36 Boiled Eggs (For a month)
- Fresh Seasonal Fruits and Veggies (Buy it fresh always)
- Tofu and Cottage cheese (Buy it fresh and don’t refrigerate it)
- Chicken (Non Refrigerated ones)
- Mushrooms (Buy it fresh i.e. at the time you want to eat)
- Kidney Beans, Quinoa and Green Leafy vegetables.
- Almond Milk
- Other low carb snacks if you cannot control hunger in between meals.
Boiled Egg diet is simply a crash diet that works well in short run and not so good in long run. In long run you will have to do much more in order to maintain the weight.
Weight lost following this diet plan is not sustainable as you will end up adding weight back when you start following your regular diet and stop the egg diet.
Best way to get maximum out of this diet is by changing your lifestyle when you start this diet. Include exercise and practice healthy eating habits so that once you switch back to your regular diet you eliminate bad stuff and include good stuff to sustain the results.
You May Also Like: