This quick recipe will help you to make zero Oil Kathal sabji that will not only help you with weight loss process but also help you to clean your arteries and keep you heart healthy.
Kathal in English is also known as Jackfruit and it belongs to fruit family that has many health benefits.
In India there are many dishes made from this nutrient loaded fruit. The Nutrients in this fruit gets destroyed when overcooked or when oil is added.
Having said that, positive thing is that, we can keep majority of the nutrients in this fruit by cooking it in systematic way and thereby reap the health benefits of Kathal.
This is done by cooking without a drop of oil and at the same time keeping your taste buds happy.
Before coming out with this recipe I tried various experiments and brainstorming on how to make kathal sabji without oil and I have found below recipe to be the best (Judged this by looking at all aspects i.e. retention of nutrients, taste and health benefits).
Before we proceed with Oil free Kathal sabzi recipe let us have a quick look at the benefits of kathal Sabji and nutritional contents.
Below are some noticeable benefits of Jack-fruit sabzi:
- Awesome for your skin
- Excellent to fight mental stress
- It promotes healthy hair and excellent for your eyesight.
- Consuming this fruit frequently can cure indigestion (Ayurveda also says so).
- The iron contents in this fruit keeps anemia away.
- Promotes healthy sleep
- Not many people know that this fruit also provides decent amount of proteins thereby helping to build muscles.
- Builds endurance as it’s very good for heart, it build endurance by increasing the exercise capacity.
Nutritional content in Kathal Sabji:
Ingredients needed to make Zero Oil Kathal sabji
- Kathal or Jackfruit – 130 Grams
- Chopped onions – 60 grams
- Coriander Powder / Dhaniya powder – Less than ½ Spoon
- Garam Masala – Less than ½ Spoon approx. ¼
- Chopped Ginger – Half inch
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Green Chili – 1 quantity (Add more if you wish to make it Spicy)
- Tomato – 60 grams
- Turmeric Powder – half spoon
- Red Chili Powder – as per your taste buds (Preferably 1/10th spoon)
How to make Kathal Sabji without Oil?
Step 1 (Washing and preparing):
Wash the jackfruit, let it dry and chop it into pieces.
Make a paste out of Green Chili, Onions, Garlic and Ginger.
Finely chop the tomatoes
Step 2 (Roasting):
Take a Non-Stick Pan.
Roast the kathal or jackfruit until its mild brown (Keep it aside in a separate vessel).
Add the paste made from Onions, Ginger, garlic and chili to the Non- Stick.
Roast the paste until its mild brown and make sure it does not stick to the Pan.
Add tomatoes to the mixture, sauté it for 3 – 5 mins (Don’t forget to add very little water if it sticks to the pan.)
Add turmeric, red chili powder and coriander Powder and keep roasting it.
The moment paste starts sticking to the pan add some water and keep roasting it until the raw aroma of Paste is gone (This whole process should not take more than 15 mins).
Step 3 (Sautéing):
Add some water and Kathal or Jackfruit to the masala’s.
Keep sautéing it and roast it.
Step 4 (Final Stage):
Once the masalas are roasted, add some water and let the Kathal cook for 10 – 15 mins on mild flame by covering it with lid.
Open the lid, add water in very small quantity and let it cook for another 3 – 5 mins.
Your 100% zero oil kathal ki sabji is ready to be served with phulka, roti or chapatti.
**This dish is best served with Zero Oil Dal, Rice and chapati**
Hope you have liked the above recipe, if you feel this recipe has helped you or you think it may benefit others (Especially those suffering from high cholesterol and heart ailments feel free to share it.)