If you are overweight and hate to do that cardio or strenuous exercises, then resorting to yoga asanas may just be the right thing to implement in your daily routine.
But just like other weight loss exercises, yoga asanas too require a lot of core strength. The ways these yoga asanas work is different when compared to conventional exercises.
In yoga asanas, the focus is to improve or strengthen the core so that fat assimilation happens naturally. But during the process of improving the core strength you don’t need to do ay crunches or pushups.
You simply need to make yourself comfortable and follow the below exercises.
While doing the below asanas, make sure that you don’t strain too much, stop whenever you feel uncomfortable.
Asanas are different as compared to other high intensity exercises. So stop whenever you are uncomfortable and try to do each of the below asanas for 30 – 60 seconds. When you perfect these asanas simply try to add 30 seconds more.
Let’s start with the first asana…
This Yoga pose is also known as Boat Pose.
In this yoga pose strong emphasis is placed in the abdominal region.
To perform Naukasana, begin by sitting on the Yoga Mat, lay down on your back. Slowly raise your legs to 45 degree angle and raise your upper body and arms to balance yourself.
Slowly raise your Arms pass it outside the knees.
Now, it may not be easy if you are doing this for the first time therefore you can keep your knees bent slightly if you are doing this for the first time.
Hold this position for 40 mins and practice to increase the duration. Eventually you would want to try and keep holding this position for one full minute.
This pose is also known as cobra pose.
In Sanskrit Bhujanga refers to snake and asana refers to pose therefore in English its commonly known as Cobra pose.
Bhujangasana not only helps you to lose weight but it also helps you decrease stiffness in your lower back, increases flexibility, Enhances heart function, reduces stress, benefits your stomach, Kidneys and strengthens your digestive system.
In order to do this pose follow the below instructions.
- Lie down on your stomach
- Place your hands underneath your shoulders
- Keep both the feet’s joined together and keep pressing against the floor.
- Keep your hips stuck to the floor and lift your upper body using your hands.
- When you go up inhale and exhale when going down.
Do this asana for 3 minutes
3.) Dhanurasana Pose
Dhanurasana is a back bending exercise that really tests your back but at the same time it also stretches your abdominal muscles. When we break the word Dhanurasana it actually means Bow Pose.
The reason this yoga pose makes it to the list is because, this pose has an excellent ability to make your spine and chest stronger. Furthermore, it also helps to rejuvenate your mind and body.
Regular practice of this asana helps to balance your body’s Doshas which results in healthy weight loss. If somehow you can get it perfected, you will never gain any additional wait on your belly as it strengthens your core.
In order to practice this asana simply follow the below steps:
- Lie down flat on your stomach and place the chin on floor
- Hold the Ankles with your hands and slowly lift your upper body, thighs and legs at the same time as high as you can.
- Make sure while raising your arms and feet you are comfortable (Do not put extra pressure)
- Hold this position as long as you can.
- The appearance should be similar to the bow (as in bow and arrow).
- It’s always best to Inhale as you lift your arms and feet (try to keep it straight)
- Try to form a C when you bend your back.
Try to perfect it over a period of time to get amazing results.
Avoid this asana if you are pregnant or suffering from hernia or back problems.
This asana helps to strengthen the core and hip muscles. When this asana is practiced over a period of time weight loss comes naturally as a positive byproduct.
Apart from weight loss some of the key benefits of Trikonasana includes:
- Excellent exercise for your heart and upper body
- Works on your back
- Tendency to heal other internal organs
- Opens hip
- And many more…
To perform this asana follow the below instructions.
- Stand erect and extend your arms at the shoulder levels.
- Inhale and raise your left arm and simultaneously bend towards right and try to touch the right side feet with your right hands.
- Look up towards the skies at left side.
- Come back to the straight position after 10 seconds.
- Repeat the same steps at the other side.
5.) Virbhadrasana (Warrior Pose III)
While this asana mostly uses one leg to balance the entire body, the focus when doing this asana should be to try and balance your body using the core strength.
While practicing this asana weight loss simply comes as a positive byproduct as it has other health benefit too.
Some of the key health benefits that this powerful asana provides are:
- Improves the flexibility of your hips
- Excellent remedy for sciatic pain
- Powerful exercise for Heart and upper body
- Stabilizes the mental state
- Builds Stamina
- Boosts immunity
- And cuts weight efficiently.
In order to do this powerful asana, you simply need to stand firmly on your yoga mat and start reaching towards sky. Once you have attained this position stay like this for 3 – 4 seconds, post which follow the below steps.
- Now start Leaning forward keeping your arms straight.
- Simultaneously start raising your left feet up.
- Hold this position for 25 – 30 seconds.
- Try to increase the time over next few weeks.
Doing the above exercise will drop your weight and cut down the extra fat in very less time.
There are other Yoga exercises too which helps to lose weight but these are my top picks since these exercises are extremely powerful and specially known to reduce weight.
Lastly, when doing such asanas make sure you strictly stick to foods that are high in carbohydrates and fat. If you fail to control the diet the results may take longer than normal.
Have you ever tried yoga asanas before? Do you have a weight loss story to share? Feel free to comment below.