If you are looking to live a healthier life, you need to develop the right habits. One of the best ways to combat stress and anxiety is to practice Anulom Vilom Pranayam, a type of yoga that has benefited millions across the world.
What is Anulom Vilom?
It is the most easiest type of yoga or breathing exercise, derived from a Sanskrit word ‘alternate’.
What are the benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayam?
There are a lot of things that you are probably doing wrong, right from consuming excessive junk, having a wrong sleeping pattern to traveling in a dusty environment. This Pranayam can help you to deal with a lot of complications that arise from such a hectic lifestyle. Here is how anulom vilom pranayam benefits you.
- It Helps you deal with problems like obesity, high blood pressure, asthma and many breathing problems increasing due to this.
- Daily exercise can lower the risk of these problems. Also, home therapy has lesser side effects as compared to medication therapy.
- Can help you deal with heart-related problems as well.
Many practitioners also use this form of yoga to treat problems like a migraine and sinus.
Here is how you can start off with the process.
Step 1: Sit in Padmasan (sitting in a way that legs form a shape like lotus flower) and close your eyes.
Step 2: Close the right nostril with the right thumb and inhale through the left nostril.
Let the oxygen reach your lungs thoroughly. Now close the left and right nostril with ring and middle finger respectively.
Step 3: Hold your breath for a while then exhale.
Repeat the cycle by keeping your thumb on left nostril, this time.
Do it for 15-20 regularly for better results.
Other known Pranayam Benefits
1.) Anulom Vilom Pranayam doesn't just help you deal with diseases - there are a lot of other benefits too that help you lead a better life.
2.) Skin: Direct exposure to the sun can damage your skin and the dust trapped in the air covers the skin making it dull. Yoga not only enhances the glow and makes it beautiful but also tighten the skin making it look younger.
3.) Digestion: Digestive problems affect our stomach as well as skin and mind. Yoga regulates the digestive system and filters the internal organs keeping it clean and healthy.
4.) Mental problems: Are depression and anxiety ruling your mind? Whether it's the next career step that you are worried about or something else, stress can be difficult to alleviate. Irregular sleeping patterns mean that you can't pull through the day easily - you would just be too tired. Yoga lowers stress level and relaxes your mind, helping you feel refreshed.
5.) Reversing Your Heart Disease: If you're suffering from a heart ailment, including blockages in the arteries, Anulom Vilom Pranayam can help. The regular breathing exercise helps to reduce the blockage. The pace of breathing and regular inhalation means that you have a better blood circulation within the body, which helps the heart to pump properly.
Anulom Vilom pranayam for Weight loss
That's not all, one of its major benefit is its ability to help you lose weight apart from helping achieve a calm and clear mind.
- Lesser time required: Doing 15-20 minutes of Anulom Vilom regularly helps a lot to lose weight.
- Easy: Alike power yoga and other difficult asanas, this pranayam is easy and compatible for people especially beginners. This is a must have tool if you are targeting overall wellness along with sustainable weight loss.
- Improves metabolism: It increases capacity which makes other exercises perform with less difficulty. Better metabolism means better fat burning capacity.
- Balances hormones: Women facing PCOD problems generally gain weight. It helps in balancing hormones, reducing weight and increase stamina.
While doing Yoga is good for health, yoga alone cannot make you healthy if you don't eat healthy. Here are some quick zero oil healthy recipes that will keep you in shape all the time and give you a heart attack proof life.
Yoga + Healthy diet = Prolonged heart attack free life. Start your Yoga program today.